The State Constitutional Convention Clearinghouse
U.S. states where the people can use a state constitutional convention to bypass the legislature's gatekeeping power over constitutional amendment
New York History Day
1846 Constitutional Convention Debate Transcripts
There were two published versions of the debates:
- New York (State). Constitutional Convention, William H. Attree, and William G. Bishop. Report of the Debates and Proceedings of the Convention for the Revision of the Constitution of the State of New York. Printed at the Office of the Evening atlas, 1846. Available via Google Books.
- Croswell, Sherman, and Richard Sutton. Debates and Proceedings in the New-York State Convention, for the Revision of the Constitution. Albany Argus, 1846. Available via Google Books.
1846 Constitutional Convention Dates & 1846 Constitution Periodic Referendum Clause
June 1, 1846 to October 9, 1846: The Constitutional Convention is held in Albany, NY. Article XIII, § 2 of the proposed constitution reads:
At the general election, to be held in the year eighteen hundred and sixty-six, and in each twentieth year thereafter, and also at such time as the legislature may by law provide, the question “Shall there be a convention to revise the Constitution, and amend the same?” shall be decided by the electors qualified to vote for members of the legislature; and in case a majority of the electors so qualified, voting at such election, shall decide in favor of a convention for such purpose, the legislature, at its next session, shall provide by law for the election of delegates to such convention.
November 3, 1846: The Constitution is approved by voters.
Text of all New York State Constitutions, including the 1846 Constitution
- The First New York State Constitution (1777) and The Original First New York State Constitution, (1777) and The New York Bill of Rights (1787)
- The Second New York State Constitution (1821)
- The Third New York State Constitution (1846)
- The Fourth New York State Constitution (1894)
- The Fifth New York State Constitution (1938)
Lincoln, Charles Zebina. The Constitutional History of New York from the Beginning of the Colonial Period to the Year 1905, Showing the Origin, Development, and Judicial Construction of the Constitution. Vol. 2. Lawyers co-operative publishing Company, 1906. Volume 2 of the 5 volume edition covers the 1846 state constitutional convention from pages 9-217. Available via Google Books.